Introduction sport and trauma
This section of the toolkit deals with the issue of how to work and communicate with (sports)persons who have had a traumatic experience. The section has been developed and written by the Mulier Institute, as an assignment of the NCDO, financed by the Dutch Government.
Author: Bas Rijnen (Mulier Instituut)
Consultants: Jo Lucassen (Mulier Instituut) en Frank van Eekeren (Universiteit Utrecht)
- pdf file of the sport and trauma section ( pdf).
We present the following:
We would like to stress that there are misconceptions about trauma which can hinder sport development projects or even lead to damage. Read more in the FAQ section.
We used a number of resources (see bibliography), of which the following are offered to you as seperate documents for more reading. We highly appreciate the copyright owners for granting us permission to offer these documents to you. See the more info section for a description of contents and cover photos.
- Coping with disasters. A guidebook to psychosocial intervention, John H. Ehrenreich, Ph.D. ( pdf)
- AVSI Handbook for teachers ( pdf)
- AVSI Training Manual ( pdf)
- International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies: Psychological support - Best practices; Community based psychological support, a training manual; Stress in the field ( pdf) The Best Practices and training manual are offered by the IFRC in seperate pdf files in the section Community based psychological support.